Haigerloch is a community in the Zollernalbkreis district in the southwest of Germany in the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. Together with eight other villages the number of inhabitants of Haigerloch gets to 10,500.
The small Eyach river flows through the town. In a period of millions of years the river has cut deeply into the Muschelkalk rock und and forms a characteristic double ‘S’. In this way the town is divided in the upper level on one side of the river and on the other side the old town and above the castle of Haigerloch with the baroque castle church. The castle complexes were constructed by a lower branch of the House of Hohenzollern in the 16th century.
The first documentary reference to Haigerloch dates from 1095. In a changeable history the town belonged to the county of Hohenberg, to the House of Habsburg, the House of Hohenzollern and since 1849 to Prussia. After the World War II the name of Hohenzollern disappeared from the map. Until the time of the Nazi regime Haigerloch temporarily had several hundreds of Jewish inhabitants. The last remaining ones were deported and murdered until 1945. A permanent exhibition in the former synagogue keeps the memory of these crimes alive.